Ladykillers



I thought about including this video in the previous post about cat calls, but then I figured this song deserved a post all its own.

I remember the first time I heard this song. It was a Thursday night (I know this because it was played on WXRT on "New Release Thursday), it was spring and I was driving home from ballet class. My first response was surprise that this was Lush, a band I had considered a Cocteau Twins inspired, shoe-gazer 4AD band (which, coming from me, is a compliment). My second response was that I had to pull the car over so I could give the song my full attention because it was JUST THAT GOOD. I love the guitar riffs. I love the speed. And I absolutely love the message. I remember I kept hoping WXRT would play it again and the one time afterwards when I heard it, I was once again in a car, this time with people, and I recall going on about what an amazing song it was and how disinterested they were in what I was saying, seemingly more impressed that I could recall the lyrics of a song that I claimed to only have heard once before. Yeah, it just happens to be that good a song. I find myself quoting this song in my head quite a bit ("save your breath for someone else and credit me with something more").

I really wish this song had existed when I was in college, it would have made my interactions with members of the opposite sex so much more interesting. And by interesting, I mean funnier. If there is any justice, this song is in the pool room jukebox. I mean, assuming that there is still a pool room, which I doubt since it isn't coming up in any google search (though it is nice to see someone went to the trouble to set up a MySpace page for the jukebox).

Also, it is a really good song to run to which, lately, seems to be my primary criteria for choosing music.

Comments

Tracy said…
There is no pool room. The pool room is now the bookstore. There is a sort of game room, but I didn't find it to be a very Reed sort of game room. Certainly not a place with a bathroom where one might sit on the floor and bemoan the opposite sex while songs like this one played outside.

Popular Posts