When You Say It's Gonna Happen Now, Well When Exactly Do You Mean?



Because this blog is old and I feel I must have mentioned everything that has ever happened to me by now, so stop me if you think that you've heard this one before (I'm sorry, really, I didn't start that sentence with the intention of doing that, but once I saw the opportunity, I couldn't resist). My friend Milan once said that by making a reference to a Morrissey song while trying to deny that I was goth, I thereby proved that I was every bit goth. Which is funny, considering that I would never have considered liking The Smiths or Morrissey as a sign of gothness (after all, they aren't Bauhaus).

I am only a few sentences in and I have already wandered so far from my original intentions with regards to this post that I am afraid I can't gracefully get to where I want to be. I can either take the long meandering path before me and hope I end up somewhere good, or I can ignore the mud and "keep off the grass" signs and tromp across to the original trail.

What is truly great about The Smiths (moreso than Morrissey's solo work) is how their songs really manage to encompass all aspects of despair in such a way as to render it unnecessary for one to add anything further. Twenty years ago, I don't think I would have thought I would be using this song to describe my feelings regarding my career (because, back then, I considered this to be strictly descriptive of social awkwardness and romantic despair), but doesn't that further prove the greatness of The Smiths?

See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone

So, yeah, this is how I am feeling about the acting career right now. Which is an improvement from this morning, when I was singing I Know It's Over as I made coffee. Just think, if my mood keeps improving at this rate, I may be singing Katrina and the Waves by Christmas.

Comments

Lydia Netzer said…
I would never call myself goth, either now or before, but I have frequently said in my head, "I've got no right to take my place in the human race." So, I think it is entirely possible.
Anonymous said…
If you're singing Katrina and the Waves by christmas, we'll be left humming about how we hate when our friends become successful ;)

And I am so not a goth.
Milan said…
Your acting career and my directing career... ah, that joke isn't funny anymore.

--Milan

Popular Posts