Everyday Is Halloween


When we went to Disneyworld last May, we held pretty firm with regards to buying merchandise (this was no small feat as the mouse finds a way into your heart, no matter how impervious to such things you may believe yourself to be). The only thing we bought for Julian was a Jack Sparrow sword and sheath after going through the extremely awesome Pirates of the Caribbean ride.

So this Halloween, Julian wanted to go as Captain Jack Sparrow.

I should have taken before pictures of the costume pieces so you could fully appreciate what an awesome job we did (the jacket, vest, and puffy pirate shirt were originally three women's shirts purchased at the thrift store for $4.50). However, you will have to just take my word for it, in much the same way as you will have to imagine Julian brandishing the Jack Sparrow sword as he chose not to do so when we finally convinced him to let us take pictures yesterday.

Yes, yesterday.


If you had told me when I was fourteen that my child would drive me to reference a Ministry song, I am not sure I would have believed you. But the kid was a fake English accent and an ummbopbop away from sounding like the chorus, asking WHY he is unable to live his life the way he wants to, why his parents force him to conform (by dressing in a pirate costume).


Oh, how he fought us and, yes, threats were made on both sides with regards to getting dressed up yesterday in order to take photographs.

Julian: Mommy, if you make me dress up I will never dress up for Halloween ever again!

Me: If you don't let me get a picture of you in the pirate outfit I made, you won't be getting a costume for Halloween ever again.

Those aren't the boots he wore with the costume, but you pick your battles and I feel lucky we managed to get the pictures we did. Especially as we needed to return the wig.



Comments

Popular Posts