The Church-Metropolis

I saw The Church in concert for the first time in 1988 at with Jenny Stewart. Tom Verlaine was the opening act and, at one point, he came onstage and played with them. Jenny was in guitar heaven. Jenny was always partial to Marty Willson-Piper, because he was a guitarist and had such a cool name. Me, well, I was always partial to Steve Kilbey (yeah, I tend to have a thing for the guy who writes the words--are you surprised?) Oh, this makes me sad because I have lost touch with jenny Stewart and miss her friendship.

Maybe I'm weird, but jangly guitars says "love song" to me.

Right now, the line "the weather is ridiculous" seems incredibly apt. Yesterday's snowstorm has robbed me of any romance my unromantic heart may have felt.

But while I am unromantic and practical, I remember what it was like to be a teenage girl and what it was like to hear these songs for the first time. I remember how I just knew that someday, I would find someone who I would want to sing all these songs to. And then I did.

Comments

Popular Posts