Twelve Days of Christmas Music: Frosty the Snowman


I realize I have already written about this song, but every so often something extremely strange and unexpected happens and I just have to talk about it.

Today I was in Ulta, examining the various anti-aging creams on offer, when this song began to play. Yes, you read that correctly, the Cocteau Twins' rendition of Frosty the Snowman was on their holiday music compilation, a few songs after Taylor Swift's egregious cover of Last Christmas (note, this is not a slam on Taylor Swift's abilities, it's just that some songs should not be covered because there is no way the original can be improved upon. See also: No Doubt's egregious cover of Talk Talk's It's My Life). The Cocteau Twins! Ulta!

Like haircare, the rules of holiday music are simple and finite. Obscurity and oddness are not tolerated in the stores or on the 24/7 holiday music station. Should I be worrying the time-space continuum been breached? Did I just manage to avoid falling through wormhole in the skin care aisle? Are the Cocteau Twins some parallel universe's Mariah Carey (and, if so, are the goth/alternative kids in that universe listening to All I Want For Christmas Is You)? Where is Brian Green when you need him?


Comments

Popular Posts